It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: 3600lb Elephant in the room
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:28 pm 

No matter what else is going on with Dudek's RR, 10.18 at over 136 mph with 2 1/2" exhaust and street tires is hard to ignore.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 3600lb Elephant in the room
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:45 pm 

hal, did he have street legal tires? i know they have been debating a tire rule, maybe now they will have one
if yes, thats very impressive!

would love to see him at a super car event too!

132.34 mph

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:57 pm 

nearly bald.. they would not pass fro supercar legal nor my personal defineition of alegal tire tread..but still darn quick. 1.60 60
The mustangs tires had even less tread, think "none"
i had 2 people not really familiar with this type of racing ask me if the tires "are some kind of retreads" and "are some kind of special made slick"
It does take away from the WOW factor of theis type of racing when people think ther on slicks
Im not cmplaining i really dont care either way, but my car will have treaded tires when i run either series.
Ryan

by the way dave had a second set of tires that i believe would pass supercar tech

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:52 am 

Well legal or not for those two cars to be going that fast is amazing. :-D If one is running with bald tires that has to be a little crazy though. :nuts

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:30 am 

if the tires were that bald, I would tend to think alittle more crazy than not. who was his competition? and how did that car do? was he the fastest of the event? :pop

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:51 am 

I think both cars tires were alittle more bald than I personally would perfer either. However at 800hp, I think it is alot safer to let them use as much contact patch as possible, instead of breaking loose at 130+ mph.
I would put 10bux saying give Dave a set of nicely worn, yet legal tires and he would probably go out and break the record again.

The duster was having teething problems... 60' nice, a couple 1.74's on brand new tires, but after first gear it was laying flat. Mustered a 11.95 best. I have to talk to Chris to give me pointers on the thermoquad. Something is off on mine, I went down to smaller than factory 340 jetting and it was still in the 9.9-10.6 a/f range. Plugs were litterally wet with fuel at the end of the run. Column shift def. takes some getting used to.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:56 am 
Site Admin

10.18 is honking for a stock appearing car on any tires.

Brian, did you notch the detent plate on the column? I assume you have a rev man VB? Widen the Neutral/Drive gap to be 3 gear positions wide, N/D/2. This allows you to pull straight down intil 2nd until it hits a positive stop then pull toward you and down for 3rd.

As far as the fuel issues, you have my cell number right?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:54 pm 

CJK440 wrote:
10.18 is honking for a stock appearing car on any tires.

Brian, did you notch the detent plate on the column? I assume you have a rev man VB? Widen the Neutral/Drive gap to be 3 gear positions wide, N/D/2. This allows you to pull straight down intil 2nd until it hits a positive stop then pull toward you and down for 3rd.

As far as the fuel issues, you have my cell number right?

I did modify the shifter column just like that. My problem was I was grabbing the shifter and yanking down instead of holding the wheel and tapping down. Nerves I guess.

I do not have your cell number. Do you remember what jets you had in the carb? I had .092 primary, .137 secondary, and it was still crazy rich. I think the fuel pressure is/was the issue. Tom Cannon went through the carb with me, didn't find anything too far out of whack. It was holding alittle over 9lbs going down the track, 12lbs @ idle. I am going to run just the mechanical and see how it does. I really miss the ease of tuning the six-pack, this thing is a pain in the butt.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

Its one of those things you need to simply get used to then it will be cake.

I do not remember what jets I had but to tell the truth, I didn't fool with jets nearly as much as air door opening and spring tension. I do have my race logs I can dig up at home and tell you exactly what I had.

What is the history of the carb? I'm assuming you are running a post 71 solid fuel TQ right? Any chance of mismatched parts such as an 850 throttle body with a 800 bowl, wrong gasket, etc? While I am not an expert I think there are 2 distinct generations of post '71 TQ's and of course 2 sizes of TQ per generation.

As far as your fuel issue, I had problems right off the bat which drove me nuts. Turned out High Flow needles and seats fixed it.

I sent you a PM also.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:29 pm 

It is actually a 72 340 carb I sent to Dave (demonsizzler) to re-do and do as many tricks as he could to it. Out of the box the engine wouldn't go past 2000-3000rpm with it. It had a cracked accelerator pump and a rusty spring for the accelerator that had no tension. :roll
I have a 71, but he told me they made very, very few jets to tune with.

I tried getting ahold of Dave to no avail. He was also supposed to send me an assortment of jets and metering rods for me so I could tune it, didn't get those either. So far I have taken apart 6 thermoquads, of course 3 of them had the same size jets in it.
I want to be able to tune the carb for conditions so I plan on taking a set of secondary jets and getting holley alcohol jets to work on them.

It does have the high flow needle and seat in it.

I am curious to see what jets you ran in it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like I was running 143 secondary jets.

I converted my carb to run holley gas jets. Simply just ran the proper holley tap into the bowl for the primaries and cut off a pair of jets and tapped them for the holley gas jet. Problem like you know is gas jets aren't as large as you need so I simply drilled out the row of real small holley jets with a drill index. Alchol jets are a good idea but they use a larger thread size which is harder to make with a TQ jet and there is a dead zone in between the largest holley gas jet and smallest alky jet. In the end I just went back to Carter stuff. Your best bet is to get ahold of a strip kit off ebay. They can be had for about $100. But still, your problem sounds like more than jet sizes.

How is your air door setting? Does it move freely? How about the dashpot, it should pull the door close to tight under vac but with zero vac the door should hit the stop before the linkage bottoms. If that air door doesn't open right, its a choke.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:52 pm 

CJK440 wrote:
Looks like I was running 143 secondary jets.

I converted my carb to run holley gas jets. Simply just ran the proper holley tap into the bowl for the primaries and cut off a pair of jets and tapped them for the holley gas jet. Problem like you know is gas jets aren't as large as you need so I simply drilled out the row of real small holley jets with a drill index. Alchol jets are a good idea but they use a larger thread size which is harder to make with a TQ jet and there is a dead zone in between the largest holley gas jet and smallest alky jet. In the end I just went back to Carter stuff. Your best bet is to get ahold of a strip kit off ebay. They can be had for about $100. But still, your problem sounds like more than jet sizes.

How is your air door setting? Does it move freely? How about the dashpot, it should pull the door close to tight under vac but with zero vac the door should hit the stop before the linkage bottoms. If that air door doesn't open right, its a choke.

Tom set the air door up. I had left it where Dave set it. It's def. not stuck closed, I can get it to open when whacking the throttle hard enough not in gear. Tom tightened it up from where Dave set it. I'm hoping the fuel pressure is most of the problem with the carb. I am planning on hitting the track next wednesday, barring the weather. I'd like to see a real reading on the o2's and not pegged rich.

I should add, it doesn't bog off the line. I have to come out of the hole real, real soft or it annihilate's the tires. I assume it needs the air door needs to be tightened even more.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:01 pm 

brian, are you going tomorrow, or next wed.

maybe i'll come up and we can run together!

132.34 mph

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:03 pm 

Next wednesday. Come on up! It would be nice to have some company, the old man is gonna be in Texas.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:04 pm 

:aok
i'll watch the weather

132.34 mph