It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: 62 Corvette Pure Stock Build
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:58 pm 

20+ years ago, my Father and I restored this 62 Corvette. The car was a barn(s) find. Body in one county (pig barn) and chassis in the other. We drug the car home and got started. While the project took about 3 years, we spent some time to build him the 62 he always wanted. Let me say this, there is not one number that is original to the car.

Considering the fact Dad elected to paint the car black, he only drove the car 1900 miles in 20 years. One day this spring, Dad and I are raising hell with a case of beer and he asks me if I want to buy the 62. I was not in the market for another car this year but...........................I really miss the last 62 that I had. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthre ... Post463791
Good thing Tracey (da Wife)is in to this too

The last thing I wanted was the car to get away. As one can imagine, there is quite bit of sentimental value to the car, to say nothing for the fact I just dig 62's. I've had a hankering to do some vintage racing in the last year. Vintage sports car racing is just not in my budget (I have a few friends that race Road America) and Pure Stock looked like a rather appealing alternative. Kind of strange when the perfect storm comes together.

So, I started to look around the internet about Pure Stock and I guess I got hooked. Sooooooooooooo, we are moving forward. As it stands right now, the 62 has a 63 block in it (we will call is a CE :hmmm:) and the proper 461X heads. As of now, there is an LT1 cam in it which will need to be changed. Currently, the car has a wide ratio Muncie in it with 3.55 gears.

The other itch I always need to scratch, is fuel injection. I cannot explain why, but I am just infatuated with fuel injection. Keeping in mind this is a put together car, no harm......no foul. I have spent the summer collecting some parts for the project and gathering my information. I am finally at the point where I decided to show this deal off and share the direction I am looking to go with it. I sourced a real nice F.I. unit at Bloomington Gold this year, as well a finding a proper set of the stock "wide wheels" to go with the NOS dog dish hub caps.

The plan calls for.............
New engine build to comply with the rules package. There is a fellow that I have become to know that really has some good ideas for the engine package as well as the overall build. Here is a link to some of the dialog from the NCRS website discussion http://www.ncrs.org/forums/showthread.p ... ine-guru-s

Not sure if the WR Muncie will stay in place. I have plugged the engine package into a computer dyno simulator and it seems like I would be better served with a CR trans. Again, after plugging some math it seems like a 4.56 gear would work the best as peak power will be around 5000-7000 rpm. With the 6.70-15 tires, that should take me through the traps around 7000 rpm.

Here is some pics as I stand right now.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 62 Corvette Pure Stock Build
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:52 pm 

looks good to me!!!! :aok

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:45 am 

Old age does not allow me to sleep like I used to. Up at 3:30 this morning...........read the news.........look at the paper...............read all the websites...............blah blah blah. So, I decided to tear into the F.I. unit and have a look around. This was a restored unit when I purchased it but.............not going to trust it. I thought I would snap some pics.

Bottom side with solenoid that only opens when there is power to the ignition. The prevents siphoning fuel into a cylinder while shut off, thus hydraulic locking the cylinder. Connecting rods are not to fond of that. Ask me how.

New NOS cranking signal valve. That allows the F.I. to identify engine crank and thus going full rich for starting. These develop vacuum leaks and then thus, run pig fat all the time.

Oooops. This ain't right! That rod is supposed to be in the hole

Fuel bowl and the business end of things. See the high pressure pump in the bottom?

All looks good in the high pressure pump. Was missing the gasket where it enters the fuel bowl.

And the high pressure pump end plate looks real good too!

That all is driven by a small speedo cable driven by the distributor.

Injector lines and injector blocks

All 8 injectors size is determined my a small letter stamped into the injector.

That's an "R"

And that is all of what is inside of the injector. All looks pretty good inside. It was a good buy all things considered.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:54 pm 

:pop :pop

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:53 am 

Very cool :pop

66 Belvedere I HP2 Hemi Auto 11.13 @ 124MPH 1.68 60' S/A

70 RoadRunner 440+6 Auto 11.05 @ 125MPH 1.67 60' S/A

70 AAR Cuda 340+6BBL 4 Spd. 11.58 @ 121MPH 1.76 60' S/A

72 Demon GSS 340 S/A 11.76 @ 118MPH 1.89 60' S/A

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:24 am 

Wow. I just finished cleaning the drool of my keyboard. With street tires, the small block and 4:56s the close ratio will probably work best. Never actually seen the bottom of the Rochester Unit before. Thanks for the photos.

What's the deal with the box Nova in Bay One?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:35 pm 

I spent a little time on the 62 this weekend. I received the gasket set for the injection unit and started to reassemble.

Then quite frankly, I was not happy with the quality of the plating on a bunch of the small items. Sooooooo off they go to the plater that has been highly recommended. http://www.detailplating.com/index.htm

Did you know these cars have a factory traction bar????

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:47 pm 

Your High School shop teacher would be so proud of your efforts, photos and attention to detail.

'68 Plymouth Fury II 4 door sedan 383 under construction
'71 Plymouth Fury wagon 383 unrestored survivor
'94 Monaco Dynasty Diesel Pusher Motorhome/Money Pit/Part-time tow vehicle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:50 pm 

For all of the 4 speed guys...............those who are building a pure stock specific transmission, what mods are you implementing?

Thanks,

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:36 pm 

I have a friend who was playing around with the engine analyzer. These are the power curves that he came up with utilizing SAE net (water pump, fan, and fan clutch) horsepower numbers......

1. Published flow rates for stock 461X heads
2. Stock Duntov camshaft
3. 10.5:1 compression ratio

The 3 different curves represent changes in the cam timing and lobe centers.

Now I need to plug in 12.5:1 and see what if there is any reasonable gains to be had. I dug out a center section for the rear end in order to build the 4.56 diff. More on that later.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:17 am 

NAPA 68 wrote:
For all of the 4 speed guys...............those who are building a pure stock specific transmission, what mods are you implementing?

Thanks,

Tim

Not sure what you mean by this statement. No modifications allowed in pure stock. I.E. - crashboxes slipper clutches, aluminum flywheel, etc. We are limited to using an H pattern 4 speed, and picking one with the gear ratios that suit the combo. From what I hear, a Centerforce dual friction is the hot set up. And I personally saved 8lbs ditching my billet steel flywheel for a factory GM part.

As for the compression bump, it will be worth it. I have an article saved somewhere that shows how compression improved power, 1 point at a time.

1972 Monte Carlo

Yes, I have an addiction.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:44 pm 

Skip Pure Stock and jump right to stock appearing...I bet it's WAY more fun. That car would be great with a 400 plus cube small block in it :aok

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:48 am 

paulyc wrote:
Skip Pure Stock and jump right to stock appearing...I bet it's WAY more fun. That car would be great with a 400 plus cube small block in it :aok

Not sure the F.I. unit would properly support that kind of horsepower

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:49 am 

Time to get cooking. Had to get the 3rd member out of it. Looks like it has a bad pinion bearing judging by noise and the look of the fluid. I am going to rebuild this one for regular road use and build a 4.56 as well.

And then start pulling the engine apart to make it rules compliant. I am going to hold off on a full blown "rules build" and get my feet wet for a while.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:41 pm 

Glad to see you are still making progress. :aok

Quote:
I am going to hold off on a full blown "rules build" and get my feet wet for a while.

Wish I had gone that route, I would have been driving mine by now. I took it apart in April of 2011, not quite done yet. :bang

1972 Monte Carlo

Yes, I have an addiction.