It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: General question about certification
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:35 am 

Hey guys,

I was talking about this class with my buddy and we got into what can and cannot be allowed to run. We got on the subject of the three key areas - heads, intake and exhaust mannies.

Ultimately this is the question that came out of it...I will use my '69 TA Ram Air V example:

Legal block, intake (which is very rare), and you manage to find a set of manifolds (also ridiculously rare), but you get a set of the aftermarket Ram Air V heads which happen to be in aluminum. Everything else about the car is dead nuts on...do you get certified?

I honestly could not answer this question for him because if you look at the certification form it would appear you technically could pass, but because the heads are aluminum you would take a hit there.

Any thoughts?

What about using an intake available on a particular engine combo for that year...like the Pontiac 455HO aluminum intake but used on a RAIII car or something like that? The parts were available and could easily made to appear stock. Casting numbers would be wrong though, so I guess that's a no go?

Thanks,
Dave

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: General question about certification
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:26 pm 

Very good question. I am sure Chris and Ted will chime in as well. this is how the rule reads for heads. And material of heads-

2.03 Cylinder Heads*: Cylinder Head MUST be of correct OEM casting, have correct original casting numbers and be of correct original OEM material. If using a factory correct Replacement Cylinder Heads* the following criteria must be followed. The use of a Factory OEM Replacement Cylinder Head* that has no performance gain over the original part number Cylinder Head is allowed.

From my understanding Ram air V heads were not delivered on a Pontiac. Going by the rule they would have a performance gain and being of an alternate material they would not be allowed.

Our certification process is very cool :bow . Certifications runs on a points system, to be certifiied you need to be below 20 points total. Every item on a car is awarded a points value. Certain items have a greater value, ie. cylinder heads, intake and exhaust manifold, tires, junk in the trunk, traction control ETC. By having one of the above mentioned items not be correct on your build would automatically put you over the 20 points max needed to be certified.

Cylinder heads need to be of the correct material. If using replacements cylinder heads they need to have no performance gain over the original casting head before you start porting or reworking them. Once you have reworked them if they flow better than an original set that is OK.

66 Belvedere I HP2 Hemi Auto 11.13 @ 124MPH 1.68 60' S/A

70 RoadRunner 440+6 Auto 11.05 @ 125MPH 1.67 60' S/A

70 AAR Cuda 340+6BBL 4 Spd. 11.58 @ 121MPH 1.76 60' S/A

72 Demon GSS 340 S/A 11.76 @ 118MPH 1.89 60' S/A

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:30 pm 

Ditto.... i would just add, the intake needs to be correct 100%, not a replacement of equal size or perf.

132.34 mph

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

The point weights for the critical engine requirements are designed to prevent certification with even one instance.

Keep in mind you need to accumulate under 20 points to be certified.

If the heads are supposed to be iron and they are alum, thats 30 points
If the head casting # is not correct or on the approved list, thats 30 too
If the intake or exhaust manifolds are not the correct casting thats a 20 point hit per.

Keep in mind however, that there is a big difference between the requirements to certify vs. the requirements to run in the event.