It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: A couple questions about "waivers" for this season, etc...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:23 pm 

Hey guys,

Introduced myself in a previous thread but wanted to just recap here as I have a few questions about "waivers" for this season and a small "oddity" about my next season engine.

My name's Dave Turowski and have been a fan of the FAST series for a long time. I just recently was turned on to this site and have fallen in love... :rock :rock :rock

Anyway, to get right to the point, my car is a '69 Cutlass W-31 clone car and I have a few questions about my current engine and the one that will eventually be going together for next year.

The current engine I have is based off a 403 Olds block but while my engine should have #5 heads to run in the class it currently has 7As because that is what I had 4 years ago when I built it. While going through your rules I noticed the heads don't have to be exact until you break the 11 sec barrier. Well, while I doubt I will be able to do that my first season out, this motor has gone deep in the 11s in a similar weighted car. I plan on running this in my car for this year just to get out there and join you guys...I am getting rammy!!!!! :drive :drive :drive The engine will follow the rules in everything BUT the heads. So, that in mind, as long as I don't tap the 11s will I be ok? Nothing has been done to these heads that i won't be doing to the #5s FWIW.

Question 2: Next season's motor is something near and dear to me that was an entrant in the Popular Hot Rodding’s engine masters challenge 2004. Unfortunately it never made it to the big dance because of aftermarket cylinder head problems. That aside, I have a TON of money in this block including a bottom end girdle because it again was a 403 Olds based block (can you tell yet I like these turds). While it has a stock pan it is modified along a small section of the pan rail to allow the girdle to integrate with the block. This is not noticeable and “appears” correct when viewed from the engine compartment and from the side of the car. The girdle is there for bottom end stability of the windowed mains. I REALLY don’t want to build another short block when I have this one in fighting shape…with a ton invested. If everything adheres to the rules and this mod is not noticeable, will I be ok to go?

Thanks,
Dave

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: A couple questions about "waivers" for this season, etc...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:56 am 
Site Admin

Hi Dave, Welcome. :aok

Supercars has recently relaxed some of the strict head casting requirements allowing interchangability with other castings that do not offer a performance advantage. The idea was to make it easier and more affordable for somebody to get into this type of racing.

We have an approved list available but I think our Good Olds advisor, Steve will chime in with more detail....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:04 pm 

Well then, if it is the Steve I am thinking of, then he should recognize these heads because they were purchased from him over 10 years ago!!! :runaway :runaway :runaway

I am so excited to come out and run with you guys it is making me nuts!!! Going to start a build thread shortly.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:53 pm 

BanditDave wrote:
Hey guys,

Introduced myself in a previous thread but wanted to just recap here as I have a few questions about "waivers" for this season and a small "oddity" about my next season engine.

My name's Dave Turowski and have been a fan of the FAST series for a long time. I just recently was turned on to this site and have fallen in love... :rock :rock :rock

Anyway, to get right to the point, my car is a '69 Cutlass W-31 clone car and I have a few questions about my current engine and the one that will eventually be going together for next year.

The current engine I have is based off a 403 Olds block but while my engine should have #5 heads to run in the class it currently has 7As because that is what I had 4 years ago when I built it. While going through your rules I noticed the heads don't have to be exact until you break the 11 sec barrier. Well, while I doubt I will be able to do that my first season out, this motor has gone deep in the 11s in a similar weighted car. I plan on running this in my car for this year just to get out there and join you guys...I am getting rammy!!!!! :drive :drive :drive The engine will follow the rules in everything BUT the heads. So, that in mind, as long as I don't tap the 11s will I be ok? Nothing has been done to these heads that i won't be doing to the #5s FWIW.

Question 2: Next season's motor is something near and dear to me that was an entrant in the Popular Hot Rodding’s engine masters challenge 2004. Unfortunately it never made it to the big dance because of aftermarket cylinder head problems. That aside, I have a TON of money in this block including a bottom end girdle because it again was a 403 Olds based block (can you tell yet I like these turds). While it has a stock pan it is modified along a small section of the pan rail to allow the girdle to integrate with the block. This is not noticeable and “appears” correct when viewed from the engine compartment and from the side of the car. The girdle is there for bottom end stability of the windowed mains. I REALLY don’t want to build another short block when I have this one in fighting shape…with a ton invested. If everything adheres to the rules and this mod is not noticeable, will I be ok to go?

Thanks,
Dave

Yes Dave I remember you coming up to buy the heads, small world.

As far as the shortblock you already have built, I don't see any problems with you running that set-up. Here are a couple suggestions that I would like you to address if possible:

1.As you know all 403's have the big casting numbers "403" on the side of the block on both sides. In this type of racing we like to see things "look stock". If you could make the 403 casting numbers go away that would be better on the eyes for the participants and spectators.

2.I'd also like to see pictures of the oil pan "as it is" mounted on the motor.

7A heads.

1. No worries on running the 7a heads. Our only concern with different casting number heads are stricklty performance advantages over running other small block heads. Your stock casting 7a head have absolutly no better flow number's than the year correct STOCK #5 head.

Dave,

Just know that if you show up with your car at any Super Car Race, expect to race and have the time of your life, we NEVER refuse anyone from racing the first time out!!!! :rock

See you Saturday.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:38 pm 
Site Admin

And there you have it......

I built one of those 403's once. Pontiac called it a 6.6 LITRE though. :mrgreen:

Attachments:
100_4398.JPG
100_4398.JPG [ 349.07 KiB | Viewed 4271 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:09 pm 

Thanks guys! I'll dig up a picture of that girdle for you...

Since we're on TAs...here's my other little project. It is a little further along now, but you get the idea.

And the beginning:

Pro-touring LS1 TA goodness. '99 LS1 engine/4L60e 3" drop...lots of suspension goodies!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:29 pm 

This is a shot of the engine as prepped for the Engine Masters Challenge...it was quite a site and made quite a showing on the dyno before the Bulldog heads took a dump...oh well.

Engine on the dyno...

Here is a shot of the girdle...this is the only one I can find...you can see how it engages the pan rail. The pan was notched to fit around the girdle. The pan in the earlier pics will not be used for the factory appearing stuff but a modded stocker.

Thanks,
Dave

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:05 am 
Site Admin

That girdle is slick!!

Even though the 403 in the Trans Am was a stock rebuild other than a cam and intake, I did take notice of the windowed main webs.