It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Supercar Smallblock Build
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:02 am 

CJK440 wrote:
:blah

Good food for thought on the gaskets. I ran cometics when I first built my Duster motor but leaked like a seive after 4 different install/reinstalls using different tecniques. They put a bad taste in my mouth and swore them off especially the price I paid for them. Thats why I went with coppers. I was hoping to get away with a composite/laminate on this and lots of race guys use 'em with more squeeze than this but yeah, perhaps they are a different animal. Not so sure now.

Ours leaked when we first tried them also. Thats we resorted to the felpro's. I think the pressures is the issue, we only have 11.8, but our cranking compression was somewhere near 220psi. What I heard from someone that uses the cometics quite often is to use a nice thin coat of silicone around water and oil bosses, in all the layers, then torque them alittle bit tighter, I can't remember what we went to, but we had the motor running on an engine stand and basically kept tightening them till it stopped leaking.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:42 am 
Site Admin

I talked to Jeff about this. He is using that gasket with stock head bolts with the same compression. He spec'ed the cam and I would imagine its not too far off of what he is running. He claims he's had good luck with the Felpros on his combo with a retorque after break-in. We're are going to give them a shot and see what happens.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:37 pm 
Site Admin

Ugh! :sick

Attachments:
DSCN0040 (Large).JPG
DSCN0040 (Large).JPG [ 97.36 KiB | Viewed 7364 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

Not where I wanted to be at this point. After looking at the deck to check pop up I noticed that the pistons were tilted a little. Looking at the top, the "left" side was .010" talller than the right. Every single one was the same. Left higher than the right. I pulled number one and brought it to work to do some measuring. It appears that the pin holes in the rods are not parallel. Talked to the rod manufacturer and they want to see them and will correct any issues.

I've got to say if the piston was in the hole a little I probably would not have noticed and quite frankly it would have probably not made a difference. But this is not right to me and needs to be addressed.

The good news is once I get them back its just a matter of throwing it all back together. All the tedious stuff is done. Didn't have to touch the crank setup or the cam.

The bad news is I am going in for shoulder surgery in a little over a week and I was hoping to wrap it up beforehand.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:51 pm 

good luck on the surgery chris!
will the joint be rollerized :lol:

132.34 mph

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:39 am 

might be titainium!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:41 pm 

Great catch Chris :bow . The Demon is scheduled to go to North East Restoration & Fabrication. LLC in RI (One of our great sponsors www.NorthEastRestorations.com ) out on the 15th to have the engine bay painted. We are looking good. We may not have it at the Ice Breaker on April 10th but for sure you will see the Demon on May 15th & 16th at SuperCar ShootOut @ E-Town.

66 Belvedere I HP2 Hemi Auto 11.13 @ 124MPH 1.68 60' S/A

70 RoadRunner 440+6 Auto 11.05 @ 125MPH 1.67 60' S/A

70 AAR Cuda 340+6BBL 4 Spd. 11.58 @ 121MPH 1.76 60' S/A

72 Demon GSS 340 S/A 11.76 @ 118MPH 1.89 60' S/A

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:47 pm 

there's no reason that car cant be out in april! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

132.34 mph

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:07 am 
Site Admin

Mike Derasmo wrote:
might be titainium!!!!!

Well, there will be some metal. They have to install anchors in the bone to re-attach the labrum (cartlidge). It sounds like a fun procedure followed by 4 weeks of strict immobilization which of course should make PT real exciting. :?

But at least its early March and not middle of summer.

Still waiting to hear back from K1 on the rods but I doubt I will see them before the weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:00 am 

CJK440 wrote:
Mike Derasmo wrote:
might be titainium!!!!!

Well, there will be some metal. They have to install anchors in the bone to re-attach the labrum (cartlidge). It sounds like a fun procedure followed by 4 weeks of strict immobilization which of course should make PT real exciting. :?

But at least its early March and not middle of summer.

Still waiting to hear back from K1 on the rods but I doubt I will see them before the weekend.

The main thing is that you will still maintain the stock appearing look with yourself LOL Good lock with everything and speedy recovery.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:20 am 

You need any pointers on tying your shoes you just let me know! :lol: :-D :runaway :pop Get better soon. :cheers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:27 am 
Site Admin

:-D :lol:

The rod company verified the bores were off a bit and they are being re-worked. Due to be back soon. I have a feeling that I will be going crazy not getting anything done and thing this motor will be done before long.

Yesterday I plopped the intake up on a Bridgeport and took a little unnecessary weight out of it. I will be bonding a steel plate underneath as sort of a valley tray to keep hot oil off the underside of the manifold.

Attachments:
DSCN0044 (Large).JPG
DSCN0044 (Large).JPG [ 96.7 KiB | Viewed 7149 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:50 pm 
Site Admin

Well I just got off the phone with K1 Technologies. Rods should be finishing up today and hopefully shipping today also. Either way they should be in by the weekend when hopefully Ralph will swing by and get a good chunk of assembly done.

All the clearancing and blueprinting is done. Its just a matter of putting the rotating assembly together.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

Heres the intake with the heat shield installed. Its simply a piece of sheet steel "glued" to the bottom of the intake with Right Stuff. The idea is to keep hot oil off of the iron intake.

Attachments:
DSCN0048 (Large).JPG
DSCN0048 (Large).JPG [ 103.62 KiB | Viewed 7007 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:38 am 
Site Admin

Rods came in yesterday and a quick trip to work this AM to borrow the toolscope proved they are good to go.

Today I got a little cleanup in the garage to do to get back in action. Ralph is coming by tomorrow AM and we're going to put the screws to it.

Funny story I don't think I shared. A while back while I was bolting in the crankshaft my daughter was "observing". She asks me if I am building the motor to go in Ralph's car and I said yes. So get this. She then asks me "if I am going to build it slower so I can beat him". :lol: :lol:

Boy if she wants to go places in life, I feel sorry for the competition..... :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next