It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: How do you guys hook on bias tires??????
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:29 pm 

Just curious what the tips are to run on these factory size bias tires to try and get traction? do you air them down? does sidewall factor in to aid "wrinkle" and if it does that would tell me a 14" G70 would be better to run then a 15" g70, correct? My only expierience with a non drag bias tire were a old rock hard set of pro trac 50's on the back of a big block elcamino I had, would smoke them for days and not seem to take much tread off them lol

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: How do you guys hook on bias tires??????
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:54 am 

I do it by having no power! :lol:

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:08 pm 

Let me know when you find the answer to that one because I'm struggling to get sub 2 second 60 foot times with mine! If you're running a four speed like I am, you likely have more trouble getting it to hook compared to a similar auto trans. car. I'm sure everyone lowers the air pressure to well below 30 psi, some more than others. I will tell you that my Polyglas GT's have better traction than the wider BFG Radial TA's that I've had on the back.

As far as I know, a G70 has the same sidewall height whether it's a 14 or 15 inch wheel.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:35 pm 

Lil 383 wrote:
I do it by having no power! :lol:

Bill

your times say otherwise. :drive

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:47 pm 

F-70 14 redline. Run 26-28 lbs. car weighs 3645 with me in it. I think a bunch of little things help. I run 4:10 rear gear. Makes it easier to control the tire. Once you get the tire spinning with a 3:23 gear you can't stop it. I think my converter really helps me, 9.5" ptc setup for the little tire. Also my car has just enough power to 60' but not a ton to make it hard to do. The best 60' was 1.71 and if I do my job right it will 1.75's on average. Also VERY little burnout. Most people overheat the tire. Makes it shear rubber from the tire instead of hook. Also pay attention to excess water that was dragged out of the burnout box. Line up away from it. You should know where your tires are and be able to put any tire on an index card from the drivers seat. Atleast left to right, close forward to back.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:57 pm 

Kowalski wrote:
Let me know when you find the answer to that one because I'm struggling to get sub 2 second 60 foot times with mine! If you're running a four speed like I am, you likely have more trouble getting it to hook compared to a similar auto trans. car. I'm sure everyone lowers the air pressure to well below 30 psi, some more than others. I will tell you that my Polyglas GT's have better traction than the wider BFG Radial TA's that I've had on the back.

As far as I know, a G70 has the same sidewall height whether it's a 14 or 15 inch wheel.

Yea i had a 12 second v8/5 speed dakota and had to find the right balance of bog and launch when i ran a set of McCreary dirt bozz tires. I know autos are much easier to launch and more consistent, but sticks are just plain fun.

I thought overall height of the g70 would be the same with the 14"'s havin a inch more sidewall but looks like 14's come in at 26-26.99" and the 15's come in at 27-27.5", so like you say about the same sidewall. I guess i'll just focus on suspension and LOTS of practice on the back roads here. My year torino is set up more like a gm a body then the previous unibody cars, so I try to see what the a body guys do in the rear suspension area (poly bushins in the rear to help stiffen things up to avoid wheel hop?). I assume a lot of guys tweak the suspension for maximum upward lift in the front buy custom fittin the control arm bushins for the loose side of "fit" and greasin them etc, run the sway bar loose and runnin cheap or fairly well used but still pass tech shocks? Just tryin to find all the info i can so when i finally start to swap things over i can plan accordingly. any input is much appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:07 pm 

furrystump wrote:
F-70 14 redline. Run 26-28 lbs. car weighs 3645 with me in it. I think a bunch of little things help. I run 4:10 rear gear. Makes it easier to control the tire. Once you get the tire spinning with a 3:23 gear you can't stop it. I think my converter really helps me, 9.5" ptc setup for the little tire. Also my car has just enough power to 60' but not a ton to make it hard to do. The best 60' was 1.71 and if I do my job right it will 1.75's on average. Also VERY little burnout. Most people overheat the tire. Makes it shear rubber from the tire instead of hook. Also pay attention to excess water that was dragged out of the burnout box. Line up away from it. You should know where your tires are and be able to put any tire on an index card from the drivers seat. Atleast left to right, close forward to back.

I plan to run 4.30's with the high revvin cleveland cj motor and that was my thoughts exactly on the gears. I hope the clevelands soggy bottom end power helps with launch but this is my first foray into clevelands, so we'll see. Can always play with the cam timin to make it a bit softer on the bottom, along with dist springs/weights to coem in later then I normally would. Good to know on the burnout, i see a lot of john force style burnouts in the vids but didn't know how that affected non sticky compound bias tires. I always liked the burnout boxes that you had to back into for the very reason you describe, some guys will go crazy in the water and blow it all over the inner fenders and like you say, it will drip all over the place up to the line.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:33 pm 

We for the most part pull around and back into the water. Some tracks are easier than others, but the track workers have seen us before and have become familiar with it. You can run a drag shock as long as you paint it the correct color.I currently are running KYB shocks, I'm sure a good drag shock would help,but my car has to much spring in it. The spring is in control instead of a nice double adjustable shock.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:03 am 

furrystump wrote:
We for the most part pull around and back into the water. Some tracks are easier than others, but the track workers have seen us before and have become familiar with it. You can run a drag shock as long as you paint it the correct color.I currently are running KYB shocks, I'm sure a good drag shock would help,but my car has to much spring in it. The spring is in control instead of a nice double adjustable shock.

didn't know on the drag shocks, i'll have to go over the rules for the super cars. I know the pure stock rules say no to drag shocks but thats a simple swap to comply for each class. My plans are to try and run in all 3 groups, that way I can hit at least 1 race in each at a minimum when they are closer to me. They need some Southern groups like these

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:22 am 

I can generally get 60' times in the 1.80s. Unlike the others, I keep 35 lbs in the rear tires. A slipper style clutch is important. Try looking at a McLeod soft loc or similar. Keep the base pressure relatively low and add something in the 35+ grams of weight total on the fingers. Of course good suspension setup is also important with good weight transfer.

Scott

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:12 am 

Blue442 wrote:
I can generally get 60' times in the 1.80s. Unlike the others, I keep 35 lbs in the rear tires. A slipper style clutch is important. Try looking at a McLeod soft loc or similar. Keep the base pressure relatively low and add something in the 35+ grams of weight total on the fingers. Of course good suspension setup is also important with good weight transfer.

Scott

I have heard of other guys airin the rear ties up a bit, not sure why it works but it also seems to work on some cars. You have a 442 with a stick i assume, what did you do to your rear suspension? my year torino has a rear setup much like the a bodies. My plans were to help stiffen it up with the poly bushins and will use the competition suspension package upper arms (they slightly relocate the rear and are stiffer then standard upper arms) with the factory rear sway bar. Not sure what else can be done other then some drag shocks which is ok in some race groups and not in others (pure stocks say no to drag shocks). I looked into the soft loc clutch, no dice for a ford that I could find, but whew thats a pricey setup :shock: Thanks for the info and suggestions. :rock