It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: WTB - Enclosed Car Hauler
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:28 pm 

I am thinking about upgrading from an open trailer to enclosed. Please contact me if you have/know of a good used 8.5' X 22' or 24' hauler.
I am also soliciting (free) advice on trailer shopping: what to look for, what to avoid; what's worth paying extra for, what isn't; good brands, bad brands.

While I'm at it, offers accepted on my Bri-Mar 18' open trailer, 4 years old - full DP deck, black powder-coated (not painted), 4 brand new radial tires, LED lights, aluminum DP tool box mounted up front, winch. This is a really well built trailer.

See you guys at E-town!
Jack Anderson
Phone/text: 302 353-0244
Email: jgand789@hotmail.com

1965 Pontiac Catalina 2+2
Original 421 Tri-Power 4-speed

1958 Pontiac Bonneville convertible
1/3096 made

1962 Corvette
Original 327/340 HP 4-speed

1963 Pontiac Catalina
461ci Pontiac, not SuperCar legal

1963 Studebaker Avanti
R-1 Automatic

1933 Pontiac 2-door sedan street rod

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: WTB - Enclosed Car Hauler
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:25 pm 

Jack, i have thought about selling mine and upgrading, i bought it from ralph a few years ago, its a pace.
Theres a few cosmetic things i was going to fix first and the vent windows on top need replacement due to sun cracking they got brittle and broke. But i could adjust the price accordingly also.

I was thinking $5200 or close to that anyway

Call me if interested, its prob in many pics of the past races

132.34 mph

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:17 am 

Jack,

First, is your tow vehicle at least a 3/4 ton and is the tow rating high enough?

Check for trailers for sale on racingjunk.com and ebay in addition to the usual sources.

There is a lot of junk out there so be careful. I ended up going with an older trailer that was in great shape, had several added features and is very well built. The well built feature was important last July when a Big Rig hit the right rear upright fairly hard while we were heading to Carlisle with the motorhome for the Chrysler show.

Torsion axles vs. leaf spring axles are nice to have. Since you will be trailering your Pontiac's watch out for the weight capacity of the trailer. There are a lot of 22' - 24' trailers out there for landscapers and other toys that are not going to handle a heavy car. You are going to want a 10,000 lb capacity, which means axles with six or 8 lugs.

You are going to want a winch and you really need to carefully measure the trailer wheel well to wheel well distance and height and measure your Pontiac's carefully as they are going to be a tight fit and you likely are not going to be able to drive the car into the trailer and be able to get out of the trailer even if it has a left side door.

The left side door is helpful even if it does not line up to let you open the door. I use mine to be able to reach in and put the car in park, release the park brake or push the park brake on with a pole through the door. Check out the floors to make sure the plywood is not rotting.

If you can find a trailer that a circle track racer used that has ramps that go up and over the trailer wheel wells, that set up would be ideal. A dovetail (slanted) rear section of the floor is nice as it gives extra clearance for the exhaust as the car goes from the ramp to the trailer floor.

When I was looking two years ago, Ralph told me to stay away from Haulmark brand trailers and a few others that I don't recall. You may want to contact Ralph directly.

Expect to pay $4k - $7k depending on the age and equipment.

Feel free to contact me directly.

'68 Plymouth Fury II 4 door sedan 383 under construction
'71 Plymouth Fury wagon 383 unrestored survivor
'94 Monaco Dynasty Diesel Pusher Motorhome/Money Pit/Part-time tow vehicle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:47 pm 

Good luck finding a trailer Jack. I'm also considering buying an enclosed trailer within the next year or so. I'll be keeping my eyes open and gathering info and advice. Based on the little bit that I know about trailers, Bill's reply has a lot of good advice.

Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:49 pm 

I spent tons of time researching my options, and quickly discovered that buying used did not make a lot of sense - limited selection, and the difference vs. new didn't justify it. So I ended up ordering a Car-Mate from a NJ dealer who had a display at the Atlantic City Auction event. Blew my budget to hell, but that's par for the course in the car hobby, right?
I also sold my open trailer to the first potential buyer, so that will help. Now it's just a matter of qwaiting about a month for the build on the new trailer.
Thanks to Ralph and everyone else who offered their advice!
See you in May,
Jack

1965 Pontiac Catalina 2+2
Original 421 Tri-Power 4-speed

1958 Pontiac Bonneville convertible
1/3096 made

1962 Corvette
Original 327/340 HP 4-speed

1963 Pontiac Catalina
461ci Pontiac, not SuperCar legal

1963 Studebaker Avanti
R-1 Automatic