It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Mustangs
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:52 am 
Site Admin

I will be helping my boss look for a fastback mustang. He's not into numbers and is interested in a 67-70 Fastback. Right now he has his sights on a 70 Sportsroof with a 302. Sharp looking car. Would a 302 be a base V8 in this car? Anything in particular to look for on these cars??

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Mustangs
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:13 am 

Call me, I give you any info you need. 302-322-3454

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:09 pm 
Site Admin

Great!!

This is what he is looking at.

http://www.34motorco.com/inventory/?function=detail&id=118&PHPSESSID=3b3c8e8a43e99ef235b5ca3c5fab050e

Not much info but looks pretty to me. When he calls and makes sure its still available, I'll call to get the quick rundown.

Or perhaps anybody knows of a clean Fastback driver, clone or street car in the area??

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:06 pm 
Site Admin

I looked at it today. Straight but an older repaint and the Black laquer is cracked in numerous spots. Needs a paint job.

Typical dealer schpeal.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

My Boss has another on the line.

Quote:
ive owened this 1969 mustang mach 1 sience 1974. way to much to say on computer. 1970 351 cleveland 30 over ballanced trw forged pistons. arp studs main and rods. chrome molly push rods, millidon 7 qt oil pan, millidon scater shild, large fly wheel, quencher closed chamber heads crain roolers stainless valves scerw in studs,850 dule feed holly. 200 miles only 4 speed big block top loader narowed 9" 411 posi. conie shocks new leaf springs, all new interior [sic]

We didn't talk to the guy yet because I am unsure what to ask. I don't know about numbers or what they mean. I guess it wears original paint and it needs to be refinished but the overall condition is hard to see, so it could just need paint but could need metal. The car is in Washington State and wants to trade straight up for one of my Boss's cars he is trying to sell. The deal is attractive to him because he gets to kill 2 birds with one stone and he wants a fastback mustang.

I know nothing about these cars but I would guess he's asking a bit much, I'll let you guess though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:00 pm 
The 351c engine was never offered in a 69 Mustang and the shaker is for a Torino not a Mustang.Beware of possible rust in the northwest cars .If his description of the car is as bad as his spelling I would be careful.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:05 pm 

Steve is right, shaker is for 1970-71 torino, hood hold downs are for 1970 Mach 1, I would want picts of underside, look for rust in lower trunk sides, lower 1/4s, torque boxes etc.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:35 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks guys. It definately seems less of an option now.

Lets assume the car is rock solid. Care to pin a real rough ballpark number on such a car??

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:51 pm 
Site Admin

Heres a 70 we actually looked at.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/car ... 14925.html

The car presents very well. Paint is nice, so is the interior and underhood. A couple of issues tho.

One, the car has no tags on it, just the dash vin. He has the fender tag (Metuchen car) and the Vin on it matches but something is nagging at me about it being a rebody. How do I tell if the body matches the VIN?? I found a stamping on the pass inner fender behind the battery but its completely different than the vin.

Also, the pics show some ugly rust damage to the front frame rail. I crawled around the best I can and couldn't find any evidence of extensive rust damage or repair. Floors and trunk look orginal and the only patchwork I could find was trunk drop offs and very bottom of rear 1/4's. Is that frame rain rust typical? The other side looks fine.

My boss is very attracted to this car.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:02 pm 

That blue Mach from Hemmings looks very suspicious. I would be cautious with that car. The fact that the VIN's don't match is a dead give away that something is not right.

The "H" in the VIN from the add says it is only a 2v engine. You should tell your boss to go for an "M" code 4v motor at least. There are usually a good number of them on ebay at any given time. For the money that guy is asking, you could be into an "M" code car!

The rust in the rail says that the car is not very pristine and the fact the the whole underbody, including mufflers, is painted that black, undercoat looking paint scares me as well. I'm sure he is a motivated seller because, maybe he is hiding something. You can get practically all the replacement metal for these cars, but for that kind of money you want to start off with something a little nicer. Just my opinion, though.

Make sure you look for rust in the top of the rail, under the upper control arm. Kind of hard to get to, but you need to give that area the screwdriver test. Also, the torque boxes, floors and cowl area as previously mentioned. Make sure you check the seams in the bottom of the doors and look for rust in the tailight panel.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Mike. I too was set back by the rust and the black spray bomb job rubs me the wrong way too. He keeps telling me he is not as picky as I am and is not concerned with VIN codes etc. and since the car has an alum manifold and a holley it is a 4V to him.

The car has been sitting at the old car dealer for a year or so. So I don't know how motivated he is. I'll agree the car is really sharp driving down the street but it just doesn't seem like a "deal" considering the economy and time of year.

Should that fender stamp behind the battery match??