It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: SCAM ALERT!! Robinhood Rally
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:48 am 

Hey folks, I thought I'd pass along this information as an FYI. I'm sure many of you got the postcard for the Robinhood Rally stating that they were looking for participants for a new reality TV show to air this fall, supposedly on NBC. To be on the show, you have to give a $1,000.00 "deposit". If selected, you have to pony up $4,000.00 for an "entry fee".

When we got the postcard, Ralph and I both looked at it, at each other, and simultainously said "Scam!!". I've seen info posted about it on a number of muscle, sports and exotic car forums. Most thinking the same thing, some not. Well, NBC 30 of CT actually aired a piece on the local news about it. I think it explains it pretty darn well.

Here's the link:

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/station/a ... tford.html

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: SCAM ALERT!! Robinhood Rally
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:54 am 

This is from Skip Barber Racing:

ALERT: Robin Hood Rally

You may have heard about a "Robin Hood Rally" through email, internet forums or because you recently received a post card or two in the mail soliciting participants for a reality TV show apparently being offered to various channels for airing this fall.

It has come to our attention that the operators of Robin Hood Rally may have obtained unauthorized access to a Skip Barber Racing School mailing list from a third party and have been using it in connection with these mailings. Robin Hood Rally was never provided with any mailing list by SBRS nor did SBRS authorize them to contact our customers in any way.

SKIP BARBER RACING SCHOOL IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY WAY WITH ROBIN HOOD RALLY, nor do we endorse, promote or support this event, or any of its mailings.

Robin Hood Rally has been the subject of a story from the NBC affiliate here in Connecticut refuting the rally organizer's original claim that the reality show being produced would air this fall on NBC, see http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/statio..._Hartford.html

We apologize for any inconvenience and we are taking steps to ensure that this does not happen again in the future. For more information on Skip Barber Racing School's Privacy Policy, please visit http://www.skipbarber.com/company/privacy/

Jim Altemus
Marketing Manager,
Skip Barber Racing School

Post subject: Re: SCAM ALERT!! Robinhood Rally
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:03 pm 

One more tidbit from another exotic car forum, I think this spells it out well:

If these guys have a show to sell, why do they need five grand from the participants? You all have the cars, not them. If they sell a show, they make the money and hold the rights to it. They have nothing but an idea. They play on your emotion, your desire to drive your car on TV. They don't even have a track! They have nothing but your cash. By the way, the card I got said nothing about a 'refundable deposit'. Remember "Robin' Hood".