It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Quick Eight or Two out of Three?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:54 pm 

Quick eight format or two out of three match race format or restructured quick and two out three format? We want to hear your thoughts about either of these formats. Likes and dislikes.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Quick Eight or Two out of Three?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:37 pm 

I have been in only two Quick eight's In the first I was totally outclassed. In the second, I was the #7 guy and somehow won the consolation race. I would think that #6,7,8 qualifiers would much rather run 2 of 3 match races but it hasn't affected me too much in the past...............................................................................................but I'll run against anybody with a handicap start.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:58 pm 

i have always liked the 2out of three match races better......its more exciting for the spectators and the racers!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:10 pm 

we could do a full format of match races, with consolations, or do a quick 8 but change the ladder so 1 races 5 and 2-6, 3-7 etc.and then move up the ladder from there!

1 racing 8 doesnt make as much sense unless its a really tight field

either way the two quickest should meet at the end....just more exciting for the first round, instead of the usual blow out!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:59 pm 

The reason for this conversation is I was talking to Ted today and shared an article I read this weekend in a musclecar magazine that spoke about how at this particular event they were covering there is no one winner. It is structured so that you have many racers celebrating victories. A couple of years ago they looked at their vision, took a pulse check of their core racers and reset the expectation, championed their vision on how they wanted the series to move forward. I thought about this and asked myself, are we doing what is right for our racers?

We want to make sure we are not missing something great. Would something like this work for us? Do you guys like this idea? We could tie this into our points series and award points for all three match race rounds. We want to make it fun for you to come out and race your car. We want to make sure that you enjoy the format, and if you want a change we can try anything that is proposed to us.

Please keep your thoughts coming, we would like to hear from all of the new racers, seasoned racers and fans as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:16 pm 

Would a 2 out of 3 require more track time by the class? Would that be welcomed by the tracks?
At one event when i was in the tower, i observed the looks of disbelief on the tower personels faces that the "car that lost 1st round" was back again. I could sense they did not like having same cars run again.
I would think running a medium to large field of entries in this format might be frowned upon by the tracks as well as other racers not participating in the series. I know if i was one of those other racers i might feel like i was being robbed of track time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:07 pm 

Ted Daros wrote:
do a quick 8 but change the ladder so 1 races 5 and 2-6, 3-7 etc.and then move up the ladder from there!

1 racing 8 doesnt make as much sense unless its a really tight field

either way the two quickest should meet at the end....just more exciting for the first round, instead of the usual blow out!

You are so right. It makes no sense why we ever did it this way. I like the Sportsman ladder way better than the "other one" The racing would be much closer. I like this idea, anyone else?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:09 pm 

ssscamaro wrote:
Would a 2 out of 3 require more track time by the class? Would that be welcomed by the tracks?
At one event when i was in the tower, i observed the looks of disbelief on the tower personels faces that the "car that lost 1st round" was back again. I could sense they did not like having same cars run again.
I would think running a medium to large field of entries in this format might be frowned upon by the tracks as well as other racers not participating in the series. I know if i was one of those other racers i might feel like i was being robbed of track time.

Track time is not an issue. When I book our events they expect that all of our racers come back for three rounds of competition.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:26 pm 

the more i think about it, i think the sportsman ladder quick 8 (1 races 5, 2 races 6 etc. ) is better suited for us than the pro style ladder (1 races 8 2 races 7 etc.) then nine and down can continue to match race as they have!

i never liked the pro ladder.
i guess its ok when the pros do it....they are seperated by so little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:59 am 

Ted Daros wrote:
the more i think about it, i think the sportsman ladder quick 8 (1 races 5, 2 races 6 etc. ) is better suited for us than the pro style ladder (1 races 8 2 races 7 etc.) then nine and down can continue to match race as they have!

i never liked the pro ladder.
i guess its ok when the pros do it....they are seperated by so little

Ted it never made sence why you would take eight cars that are separated by .700 and run the number one guy against the number eight. The reason it is used in slick tires is to gaurantee an easy road to the final for the number one and two guys. A sportsman ladder will increase competition and may change the results of the quick eight. (The number eight guy may want to be part of the quick eight :aok .) I like it :aok . Great idea Ted :bow .

Anyone else, agree or disagree?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:12 am 

Ted, What does "a full format of match races with consolations" mean? :?:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:18 am 
Site Admin

I like it.

Same format as before, a quick 8 (or two if attendance allows) with a sportsmans ladder and consolation races, with 2 out of 3 matches after that.

1-4, 2-5 etc makes the races more challenging for the faster car and more enjoyable for the fans and should result in the same final.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:08 pm 

old fart racing wrote:
Ted, What does "a full format of match races with consolations" mean? :?:

Hal, i was typing faster than my brain could think :lol:

that doesnt make sense.....but the bottom line is , i think the match races we have are good ....but for the quick eight a sportsman ladder is better than what we have been doing!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:10 pm 

I also know how you like the bracket racing, but i wont be in favor, as i already know who will win :bow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:48 pm 

Hi I have been in the quick eight and ran against a car over a full second ahead of me and of course lost not that I had a chance. I would of rather ran against Jeremy in a 2 out of 3 match. The cars that are the quickest and closest should be paired together 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8, maybe do match races after that. When I started I found it was more worth while to get 2 time trials and 2 out of 3 for a minimun 5 races. If it comes down to 2 time trials and 1 ladder match then on the trailer then it does not seem worth the cost to travel to all the tracks 1 and 2 states away. Gas for the tow vehicle, track fees, Food, stay over night, more food, tolls, race gas etc.... . All of us know what is costs. I Enjoy racing and have tried to be somewhat competitive but some day I will have to draw the line. Just my :2c :bang
I think this year sounds like our group will have more competitors and maybe we can have Quickest 8, Quick 8, and then consulation rounds and 2 out of 3 matches.
John