It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Winter Musclecar stories from the day...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

You guys are to funny! :bow

American MuscleCar Racing
Ralph Barbagallo
Sharleen Barbagallo
Ted Daros
Chris Kuskowski

http://www.SuperCarRaces.com

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:14 pm 

Ok, here's another one. Apparently I spent too much time freezing my butt off with rounded bolts and cheap tools...

This is my 68 GTX when I bought it in '83. Believe it or not, these pixs make the car look better than it was. It did not have a square foot of sheet metal that was not scratched, dented, rusted or all of the above...including the roof. I bought it during college with it's blown 440 as I saw it still had it's 4 speed and Dana. I had no money (diet= Macaroni & cheese, pop tarts and beer) but I really had not seen a 68 GTX in person prior to this car. Years later, Galen Govier would tell me the "S 6" Mint Green stripes are quite rare...who knew???

Anyway, I had to keep it at a friend's Hog barn in SouthEast Ohio and work on it when our schedules permitted. I swear not one weekend we worked on it was above 20 degrees! We pulled the grenaded 440 and installed a junk yard 440 from a '70 New Yorker (which is still in the car today).

Like HPaxle and Wr70, I clearly recall us working the "lead filled" A-833 4 speed back in, with me working the tailshaft and discovering very cold, dirty and smelly trans lube ooze onto my ear, then down my neck to settle between my shoulder blades for the remainder of the evening...Nice... :sick

Something tells me you guys can relate...

Attachments:
theGTX.jpg
theGTX.jpg [ 260.67 KiB | Viewed 1466 times ]

1968 Olds 4-4-2, 455, 4 speed
1973 Dodge Challenger, 340, 4 speed
1968 Dart, 383, Auto, 3:91s

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:15 pm 

This picture was taken along the Maine Turnpike late December, 1967. On our way up to Northern Maine for our honeymoon.

Attachments:
Dalton68chrgr-1.jpg
Dalton68chrgr-1.jpg [ 782.25 KiB | Viewed 1459 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:43 pm 

Sheesh! Is that SNOW piled higher than S Bee's head??!! Whoa... now I remember why I moved to the face of the sun. And just whut is that growth coming out of the lower rear quarter panel? Well, at least you were driving it and enjoy it. Those kinds of memories are hard to duplicate these days.

Carguy- I'm thinking our paths must have crossed at some point. That GTX looks familiar. Did it have a 318 in it at one point? If it's the one I'm thinking, it still had the 4-speed and Dana, but a 318 up front? Southeastern Ohio.. maybe waaaay back in the hills outside of Shade, Oh? And we must have been living parallel lives as I used to keep my junk in an old sway backed chicken barn. The barn only had a good(?) roof on one side and I kept my cars in there. The dirt (mud) floor didn't do me any favors tho. Now I'm sure you remember the white Superbird parked on route 33 just south of Lancaster and a bit north of Logan? It was on the west side of the road in front of a house and was for sale for a long, long time?

Well, lemme see if I can attach a picture to this thing. If it works, it will be the aforementioned 66 Dodge. And I suppose that one's got a winter story too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:00 pm 

Yep, that slush hang is too classic...back when these were drivers!!

WR70, it could be our paths crossed? To my knowlege the GTX never sported a 318, but who knows? I would have recalled your Superbird for sure but never saw it.

I'll PM you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:22 am 

Ok guys, reviving this thread. Surely, these cold winters days have sparked a few new memories?

I can add the time in High School I wrecked the aforemetioned road runner on New Years Eve driving the Police Chief's daughter (yes, she was hot, a cheerleader and he was unamused by me) home froma party (she was nearly passed out). I was doing everything I could to make it up a steep hill in snow with L-60 tires when another car stopped short...slid right into the back of another mopar. The cops show up...her dad included...long night.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:42 pm 

When I was a senior in high school my mother drove me to go on a tour of Franklin Pierce College in her daily driver. Which just so happened to be the same 340 barracuda I have today. About halfway home one of the WORST blizzards I have ever driven through hit CT. What a nightmare. Did I mention it used to have an open diff. I still can't believe I survived.

My friends still tell this story. In high school It's very late at night,had snuck out without permission, myself and three friends driving down a back country road. BAM my 72 satelite shears one of the bolts off in the yoke and spits the rear u joint cups out. They panic........ I'm like relax look in the road for two cup like things...... 15 mins later they found both. 15 mins later back together using the remaining three bolts. To this day they can't believe I "fixed it" :mrgreen: