It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Operation Lets Not Break The Rear So Much To Begin
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:55 pm 

X-Frame, stick cars Rule!!! :winner

Well my upgrades are not sexy as in performance related. It is not even as sexy Rhett hooking up an LED light to time when his air door opens. It is about beefing up the rear on the 63 Impala to be more reliable. Finally received the last part so I can start this project.

As anyone who has every owned a 55-64 Chevy with an 8.2" are well aware of it's many shortcomings when powered is applied to it. Usually not a happy outcome from time to time. The last of the main parts have arrived and the upgrades will be:

1) Change out the spider gears from a 17 spline to a 30 spline (as used in a Chrysler 8.75 rear) Believe it or not the clutches and spider gears are interchangeable. Axles which I have to yet order will be by dutchman. I have spoken to them about it and they know exactly what to make no measurements needed at a good price.

2) The 8.2's always like to break the right bearing cap especially with stick cars. With some research spoke to Aubrey at bruneau performance in Canada who manufactures bearing cap girdles. A real nice guy who knows the x-frame Chevy's like the back of his hand. He also directed me to speak to ducthman for the axles. When I spoke to moser and strange you thought I was speaking Greek to them.

3) Final part will to add a 4th link (upper rear control arm) like some of the cars came off the factory line especially the 409's. This should help with launching the car where I can improve on my miserable 60' times. This will also eliminate dealing with the single control arm that wears out bushings every other season or having an arm cracking.

Of course with me everything is an adventure :sick so none of this will be done for the upcoming race. My goal to to knock it out after race and try it out at the new vs old race in June. I'll post up some pictures as the work progresses.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Operation Lets Not Break The Rear So Much To Begin
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:29 am 

New parts!!!!!!!!! I always knew you were a mopar guy!!!! :stir :pop

Post subject: Re: Operation Lets Not Break The Rear So Much To Begin
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:04 am 

:pop