It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Is it just me?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:37 pm 

Is it just me or do we now live in a world of high tech crap?

My water heater started leaking yesterday. I stopped at Home Depot and purchased the best Rheem that they offer. I also opted for them to install it, as I live out in the country and running back and forth for adapters is a pain. The installers came today when they took the unit out of the box to my dismay, I saw that it had external electronic controls. When the guys finished the install the heater would not turn on. As they worked for an hour or so trying to figure out what the problem is while talking to the Rheem tech line, the furnace guys showed up.

I introduced the workers to each other stating "These are the furnace guys who haven't been able to get my high tech furnace, that cost me more than a really serious racing engine to buy and install, to work right and these are the Hot Water heater installers who can't get this brand new high tech hot water heater to work." The furnace is a Carrier with heppa, humidifier, and little lights that blink all over it. It propelled my Bedroom to 80 degrees last night while the themostat was set on 60. :sick and has given us trouble off and on since it's install four years ago.

This was after this morning when I was trying to install a Chinese manufacturted dead bolt lock on a door and it just wasn't made right. Later on I drove to check on my Dad and while I was there I noticed that he still has the same furnace, washing machine, kitchen range and refrigerator in the house since we moved in there in 1968.

So here I sit tonight with no hot water waiting for for the guys to come back tomorrow. It's a damn shame we let this all happen to us. :nuts

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Is it just me?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:32 am 

All of that really sucks.

I have found that Home Depot often carries good name brand items that are specifically made for them to sell at a low price point with lower quality.

Compare big box store John Deere lawn tractor with one from a JD dealer and you will usually see difference in the frame thickness and engines.

Sorry to hear of your trouble. You really need to find a good HVAC contractor in your area.

'68 Plymouth Fury II 4 door sedan 383 under construction
'71 Plymouth Fury wagon 383 unrestored survivor
'94 Monaco Dynasty Diesel Pusher Motorhome/Money Pit/Part-time tow vehicle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:56 am 

Cheap crap everywhere!
Electronics are a problem everywhere you look and are problematic in damp basements etc.
The manufacturers are mandated to use certain features in the name of efficiency and reliability suffers! This is a big problem in heating applications where a house can freeze up and do tens of thousands in damage when a ten cent ground connector is used!
And the ins co and homeowner want to blame the contractor!
Drives me nuts!

132.34 mph

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:40 am 

Ted, I don't blame the contractors. I just think the products are too complex and the technology for reliability is not there. What is wrong with a simple on/off switch and a mechanical thermostat? The furnace guys said yesterday that the Electronic Therostat in the Man Cave thought it was in the upstairs bedroom and was trying to warm the Man Cave by pumping heat into the bedroom. What? :sick He said something about interference coming from other wires in the wall. Well these are the contractors who installed the whole thing. Last month it was a pump that is supposed to remove excess moisture from the furnace which got stuck on. They come and diagnose things by looking at how various lights blink.

It's like cars. I would much rather rely on my 1965 Impala the most reliable car I ever owned to drive accross country than a modern car who's electronics are prone to failure.

Bill at least the waterheater has a 12 year warranty. Still no hot water though hopefully those guys show up with a good part today. I think I will take a shower in my motorhome. Oh did I tell you my 5 year old over the range microwave stopped working last week too?

The Chevy II is never going to get done if I keep spending money on repairing and replacing appliances.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:47 am 

old fart racing wrote:
Ted, I don't blame the contractors. I just think the products are too complex and the technology for reliability is not there. What is wrong with a simple on/off switch and a mechanical thermostat? The furnace guys said yesterday that the Electronic Therostat in the Man Cave thought it was in the upstairs bedroom and was trying to warm the Man Cave by pumping heat into the bedroom. What? :sick He said something about interference coming from other wires in the wall. Well these are the contractors who installed the whole thing. Last month it was a pump that is supposed to remove excess moisture from the furnace which got stuck on. They come and diagnose things by looking at how various lights blink.

It's like cars. I would much rather rely on my 1965 Impala the most reliable car I ever owned to drive accross country than a modern car who's electronics are prone to failure.

Bill at least the waterheater has a 12 year warranty. Still no hot water though hopefully those guys show up with a good part today. I think I will take a shower in my motorhome. Oh did I tell you my 5 year old over the range microwave stopped working last week too?

The Chevy II is never going to get done if I keep spending money on repairing and replacing appliances.

:agree

Hal if you owned a Mopar race car you would not have any of these worries. :aok

66 Belvedere I HP2 Hemi Auto 11.13 @ 124MPH 1.68 60' S/A

70 RoadRunner 440+6 Auto 11.05 @ 125MPH 1.67 60' S/A

70 AAR Cuda 340+6BBL 4 Spd. 11.58 @ 121MPH 1.76 60' S/A

72 Demon GSS 340 S/A 11.76 @ 118MPH 1.89 60' S/A

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:57 am 

Yea building and maintaining a MOPAR race car would really put me in the poor house. :moon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:11 pm 

old fart racing wrote:
Yea building and maintaining a MOPAR race car would really put me in the poor house. :moon

:off Get back in the basement :argue

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:27 pm 

Update: It keeps getting better. Two different installers showed up with a new thermostat, but it turns out that the new high falutin Rheem water heater uses a different thermostat that no one stocks. So they ripped out the whole water heater and they are off to Home Depot to get another one. :shrug

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:03 pm 

Call a Chrysler tec instead of a Chevy tec.
Next time :agree :gears

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:09 pm 

No it is not you. I feel it is like that with everything. Some of this new equipment definitely needs some more time to work the bugs out. I personally would not recommend the ultra high efficiency equipment yet. It runs like a ferrari when it is working and I stress when it is working. That is why I like my old steam heat. Basic service in the fall and she purrs like a kitten all winter. Even with the irrigation controllers we use today are garbage. We service some properties that have Torx controllers from the 30's/40's and Weahtermatic startrol from the 60's and 70's that run forever. Now the new ones we put in if you get ten years you are doing good. I could go on forever on this issues.

As you also stated it is not the crews fault with the issues most of the time. I am going through this right now as i write this at an office building where we are doing a new 1000 KW generator and new switch gear. This project has two mechanical engineers, one electrical engineers, 3 reps from square D the manufacturer, probably about 20 hours onsite measuring gear and tracing wires in preparation for the installation of the new 4,000 AMP switch. You know what we got the wrong sized switch, wrong buss connectors, incorrect plates, and the wiring as proposed is incorrect, other than that it was perfect. What makes me laugh is the electricians from Square D/Schneider Electric are rock stars. They identified the problems, retrofitting and fabricating onsite. Yes is it taking about 8 hours longer for this portion yes but the are getting it done. Makes me laugh all the people in the supposed know which seems often now are not in the know. In the end turned out to be a good thing I did not race today, definitely a hands on day.
Picture below of the new 4,000 AMP Switch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:10 pm 

Cuda 65 wrote:

Yea but Hal wants it to run though :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:56 pm 

Cuda 65 wrote:

:agree :agree :agree :agree :agree

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:33 pm 

I know you guys are dying for an update. Yesterday the techs came back with an entirely new water heater. They soldered and wired it up and Voila the little computer screen lite up. The lead tech packed up and said "In about an hour you'll have all the hot water you'll ever want." These must of been the Chrysler Techs as the were in a Sprinter Van.

One hour goes by and there was absolutely no hot water. I went down and looked at the little computer screen and a little "Error Symbol" was flashing. I did all the logical things including turning off the breaker and restarting the piece of junk. Naturally, no one is available today to look at it. We are stopping payment on the check. I just don't want a Rheem hot water heater anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:17 pm 

Well it's over. Bought a simple hot water heater that is either on or off from my local heating and cooling contractor. Home Depot is picking up their high tech junk. Lesson, Stay away from High Tech stuff when it is not necessary. Now back to the Chevy II project. :aok

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:09 pm 

old fart racing wrote:
Now back to the Chevy II project. :aok

Sounds good. Back to "low-tech", well you Knova :shrug