It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Just checking on a rule
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:22 am 
8.05 Traction control is not legal. Traction control is defined as any device that monitors engine and/or driveline rpm in order to detect tire slip and automatically control it either mechanically or electronically.

The MSD 7AL monitors engine RPM and controls your tire spin electronically/automatically if your engine revs to fast. Is this ignition system illegal in the SuperCar ShootOut? I think several guy`s own this box and a "ban for life" is pretty killer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:19 am 

Yes Dave it is LEGAL. It does not control tire slip automaticly. It uses a preset program to control the engine.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:28 am 
Site Admin

The ban for life for Nitrous is killer too, but in both cases stresses the importance of the rule.

I think you are refering to slew rate control on the Dig 7 boxes not the 7AL, unless that has it too. Slew rate control forces the engine to follow a preprogramed RPM vs. Time plot which takes away the ability for the driver to make the engine accelerate any quicker than the preprogrammed plot. It will control RPM run away by way of a rev limiter if the tires lose traction or if the clutch slips but it will also prevent a car from accelerating faster than the plot if the slew rate is set lower than what traction allows.

I think it does narrowly skirt the common definition of "Traction Control", which is exactly what MSD intended.

With such severe penalties on the line, I think the rule needs clarification. Depending how it is read, slew rate control could be considered legal or illegal. There shouldn't be any gray areas.

Thanks for posing the question.

Post subject: Re: Just checking on a rule
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:56 am 
Chris,
I am mixed up with the rule on the rule page, Lanes answer in this blog, and whether or not the MSD 7AL box being legal.

Is this ignition legal or not??

THX

D :?

Post subject: Re: Just checking on a rule
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:44 am 

Legal.