It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hello from Orlando, FL
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:57 am 

Hi all
I've been following the PSMCD for a little while now and am currently in the planning stages of returning my 1969 Plymouth road runner back to Pure Stock. Right now it has a 383 with a Comp cam (XE275HL-10), 452 ported heads with oversized valves, 1.6 ratio roller rockers & Mopar Performance cast black wrinkle finish valve covers, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Holley 750, tti headers and 3" exhaust so it's a little "out of spec" :mrgreen:
I want to tone it down and have a little more fun just cruising with it and the Pure Stock specs fill the bill nicely. So far I have just about everything I will need to make the switch (906 heads, factory intake and exhaust manifolds, valve covers, etc) but cash is a bit tight and I need to take my time to get everything else (primarily a 2.5" exhaust system). I have a set of 225/70R-14 radials for now but will probably purchase a set of the Firestone Wide Ovals later on.
I purchased the car in 1983 to replace my 1st road runner. It is a F8 Ivy Green Metallic hardtop with a T7 Saddle Tan interior and is equipped from the factory with the 383 4 bbl, 4 speed trans, PS, PDB (Bendix 4 piston discs up front), HEMI suspension (extra HD leafs and torsion bars), A/C - which has been converted to the new compressor and R135 by Classic Auto Air in Tampa, FL, HD radiator, 8-3/4" rear with 3.55 gears and Sure Grip. I did have an incident at the strip some years ago in which my original driveshaft was banged up and bent beyond repair so I did have a new 3" shaft custom made. I see that aluminum driveshafts are not allowed but I think this one may be high strength aluminum. The shop assured me it would be much better than the original so I don't know if this will be a problem. I don't really want to invest in a new (old) driveshaft if I can help it. As a result of this incident my original bellhousing was destroyed so I installed a Lakewood safety bellhousing along with the driveshaft loop that was in place when the driveline let go. Ignition has been converted to a MP electronic setup.
I would like to know if I could retain my 3" diameter chrome tips at the back by using a 2.5" to 3" increaser/reducer so I would not have to invest in another set of tips. Like I said, $$ is tight so any savings I can get would be greatly welcomed.
I'm hoping to attend one of the events this year but it's a long distance drive to Cecil County Dragway (940 miles from my place) so It may not be possible. I'd love it if you guys could branch out a little further south sometime (say Atlanta maybe). Hopefully PSMCD will become more popular outside the northeast.
At any rate I hope to attend an event sometime in the near future. Until then I'll keep collecting the money and parts needed to make my car perfectly legal. I'm looking forward to it! :rock

F8 Ivy Green Metallic w/T7 Saddle Tan bucket seat interior
383 4-speed, PS, PDB, A/C, HEMI suspension,
Performance Axle Package (3.55 Sure Grip 8-3/4")
Pure Stock FTW!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Hello from Orlando, FL
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:11 am 

Here are a few of pics:

Attachments:
RR with Steelies.jpg
RR with Steelies.jpg [ 84.47 KiB | Viewed 3402 times ]
MVC-003F.JPG
MVC-003F.JPG [ 84.69 KiB | Viewed 3395 times ]
PICT0001.JPG
PICT0001.JPG [ 210.18 KiB | Viewed 3406 times ]

Pure Stock FTW!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:27 pm 

Hi John, welcome to the board. Great looking Road Runner :aok . Please make sure to make yourself at home on the board.

66 Belvedere I HP2 Hemi Auto 11.13 @ 124MPH 1.68 60' S/A

70 RoadRunner 440+6 Auto 11.05 @ 125MPH 1.67 60' S/A

70 AAR Cuda 340+6BBL 4 Spd. 11.58 @ 121MPH 1.76 60' S/A

72 Demon GSS 340 S/A 11.76 @ 118MPH 1.89 60' S/A

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:35 am 

Thanks Ralph - and thanks for the comment on the exhaust tips. I doubt I'll be able to make it to a race this year - unless I come on up to Cecil County as just a spectator. I've just started a part-time job after being without steady work for over 2.5 years so money is still very tight. Fortunately I have some friends who have been contributing some gifts to me in order to get the car back into form. One good friend bought me a cam and lifter set and another is contributing a Carter AVS 4615 carb. The friend who bought the cam for me also works at a machine shop that bends exhaust systems and will also be installing new rear wheel bearings in the beast shortly.
I definitely have the "itch" to play - I just don't have the "scratch" at the moment! :mrgreen:

Pure Stock FTW!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:51 am 

Hello, that a great looking RR, especially with the tan interior. I like the steel wheels but the road wheels do make it look sexy!!! Welcome!

Juan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:40 pm 

John, any updates? I'm not too far from you in FL. I've only found one other Factory/Pure Stock guy in the area. Trying to find/convert as many as possible. It would be great to caravan with other people, and possibly do some racing around here when there are no events to go to.

Nice looking car BTW! My folks had two that color - one 4 speed, and one auto.

1972 Monte Carlo

Yes, I have an addiction.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:57 pm 

Very nice car you have there :aok