It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: New here from Se Ky with a smog era Ford
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:02 pm 

Thought I'd start a introduction/build thread for my Torino as I plan to run it in the supercars/FAST/pure stock drags. I have had quite a few cars in the past I used to drag/street race, 12 second V8/5 spd 95 Dakota, low 12 second Omni GLH turbo, low 13 second 95 caprice/impala ss wagon, 12 second v10 swapped 96 dodge ram 1500, high 10 second daily driven early 70 Maverick, and a few others I never cared enough to run at the track. I have always liked the oddball smog era cars the most, hence my new toys.I had a bunch of 73-77 gm a bodies, a few rare ones (74 454 4spd el camino ss, 74 454 laguna s3). I have a crusty but original 73 base model q code(351CJ) Torino that came with all the performance goodies(4spd,tach dash,comp susp pkg) for 1973 but very little else(man steerin,man brakes,rubber floor). Its sadly beyond repair body wise, so the search was on to find a clean rust free 73 base model car. I finally found a near mint 37k mile 73 302 Torino. The 4 spd cars original engine was long gone so I had to go on the hunt for the correct heads, intake, carb, exhaust manifolds and air cleaner. Thankfully the 73 and up ford stuff is still easily found and fairly affordable. So the plans are to eventually swap all the goodies from the crusty 4spd car onto the clean 302 car, build up a 351 CJ with the max allowed compression, stock lift/duration on the CJ cam but maybe play around with LSA/overlap within class guidelines to get all I can out of the 351 to try and move this boat down the track a lil bit better. I think with a better then new 351cj, 4.30 gears and hopefully traction, it should be a mid to high 13 second car. I hope the 4v Clevelands soggy bottom end actually helps in the traction dept. Be respectable enough for a 73 smogger 351c in a big ole Torino. regardless I have always wanted one of these 73+ 4 spd mid size cars to just cruise around in, so whatever it runs on at first will be good enough. I have a few of these cars and also have a very solid 73 fastback I'd like to maybe build up to run as well one day, maybe see if the 73 police interceptor 460 (basically a cobra jet jr) qualify's for these factory stock classes, Let my wife run that one.
I'd love to talk to guys with stick cars to see how they get their cars to hook on 70 series bias tires. Hopefully my big bumper smog ride doesn't make too many of you die from laughter lol

heres the crusty but rare 4 spd car. I think the only good sheet metal is the roof and one inner fender. Looks like they painted the starsky and hutch paint job with a heavy nap roller lol Shame it's so rusty, original color was gold glow with a black interior, slick combo.

Heres the 37k mile 302 car.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: New here from Se Ky with a smog era Ford
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:59 am 

i love the odd ball combos. I hope to see you on the track! Keep us updated.

bill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:46 pm 

The blue one is a cream puff! Absolutely immaculate. :aok

That poor 4 speed car has definitely seen better days. Looks like 3rd gen Camaro bucket seats in it.

Love your build, always glad to see some variety added to the mix.

As for traction... I am going to try kiling some power down low with my timing curve. (Springs and weights) Also could retard the cam 3-5 degrees. And take any bind out of the suspension so it moves freely.

1972 Monte Carlo

Yes, I have an addiction.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:10 pm 

I just noticed, it came with H-70's. That's a lot of tire. Don't think you'll have much of a traction problem with a small engine and this tires.

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:13 pm 

Welcome abroad! The more Fords the better! There are a bunch of very quick and consistent stick guys on here. Running as quick as low 11's in stock appearing. :aok

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:54 pm 

Welcome! I also like odd ball cars. Your blue '73 looks like it would make quite a sleeper. Good luck with your build. Several decades ago my pride and joy was a '73 Gran Torino Squire wagon powered by a 351C. Wish I still had it bad sadly, it was stolen, partially stripped and then vandalized and would have cost far too much to repair.

'68 Plymouth Fury II 4 door sedan 383 under construction
'71 Plymouth Fury wagon 383 unrestored survivor
'94 Monaco Dynasty Diesel Pusher Motorhome/Money Pit/Part-time tow vehicle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:07 pm 

Lil 383 wrote:
I just noticed, it came with H-70's. That's a lot of tire. Don't think you'll have much of a traction problem with a small engine and this tires.

Bill

yea but isn't a G70 the max allowed size in a 70 for most classes? I know the pure stocks are that way.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:11 pm 

Bill C wrote:
Welcome! I also like odd ball cars. Your blue '73 looks like it would make quite a sleeper. Good luck with your build. Several decades ago my pride and joy was a '73 Gran Torino Squire wagon powered by a 351C. Wish I still had it bad sadly, it was stolen, partially stripped and then vandalized and would have cost far too much to repair.

I plan to leave it exactly as you see it other then add the tach dash and 351cj/4spd/9" drivetrain. Thought about a laser stripe, but can always put one on the fastback I have if I want to have one dressed up a bit. I like wagons myself, like i said, I like oddballs. :rock

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:17 pm 

1972LS5Chevelle wrote:
The blue one is a cream puff! Absolutely immaculate. :aok

That poor 4 speed car has definitely seen better days. Looks like 3rd gen Camaro bucket seats in it.

Love your build, always glad to see some variety added to the mix.

As for traction... I am going to try kiling some power down low with my timing curve. (Springs and weights) Also could retard the cam 3-5 degrees. And take any bind out of the suspension so it moves freely.

Yea I think they are iroc buckets, drivers is power and even works perfectly. Probably toss it on ebay and make some more money back on this car. already sold the cobra jet hood scoop, 80's jensen cassette stereo, and rear wing stands.

probably just use stock cam and dist stuff if i were to do that, they were retarded a good bit from the factory. My biggest fear is when I have to tune that ford 4300 carb in, heard nothin but nightmares about them. probably just use the stock intake and carb for the specialty races and swap a alum intake/holley for the rest of the time. :dragster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:45 pm 

I need to find a source for the rubber floor but with the 4 speed hump, any suggestions on who actually makes these carpets for all these Restoration places? I thought they could just use the pickup truck rubber floor material in blue if possible or at least black in the torino 4 spd carpet molds and press me one out. I like bare bones strippo cars, reminds me of the early 60's max wedge mopars. Looked like taxi cabs but packed a punch. Thats why its really odd to see a 73+ car setup like my 4 spd car was, they were gearin things towards luxury not performance and bare bones cars by then. My 302 car has a rubber floor too, can't say I have seen many cars with rubber floors over the years. Even my bare bones maverick had carpet. I'll have to see which is lighter, carpet or rubber floor.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:45 pm 

Welcome! As some have already said, we need more Fords and stick cars.

I've been running my 4-speed Challenger for a few years now but I don't think I can provide much advice. I use a Borg & Beck style pressure plate and haven't done much of anything to my stock suspension. I still haven't nailed down the rear tire pressure that's best yet. It probably goes without saying that launching a stick car can be difficult. In my situation, I believe that there is still more potential equally between learning how to launch it (rpm, slip clutch, etc.) and suspension tweaks. I'm lucky to run lower than a 2.0 60" on any given day.

Good luck,
Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:45 pm 

I think some AMCs used similar carburetors. Might want to search that community to see if there is any secret to gettting them to run properly and perform. I am surprised that ford retarded the factory cam, most have 5 degrees or so of advance ground into them.

As for the tires... if it came with H70s - not sure why you would be required to downsize to a G70. I guess some rule clarification would help.

1972 Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:01 pm 

1972LS5Chevelle wrote:
I think some AMCs used similar carburetors. Might want to search that community to see if there is any secret to gettting them to run properly and perform. I am surprised that ford retarded the factory cam, most have 5 degrees or so of advance ground into them.

As for the tires... if it came with H70s - not sure why you would be required to downsize to a G70. I guess some rule clarification would help.

I'll have to look into the AMC stuff, see if they have some tips then, thanks yea ford retarded the cam for emissions reasons, just a swap to a pre retard timin chain picks the clevelands up about 20 hp, along wit ha recurved distributor, it really wakes em up.

I know in the pure stocks, the largest 70 series tire you can run is a g70 regardless if you had larger or not. Not even sure H70's are still available, might be a non issue. More sidewall sure couldn't hurt though if these tires acted like the bias mcCreary dirt bozz tires i used to run on my v8 dakota for traction on the street

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:15 pm 

Making any progress over the winter?

1972 Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:07 pm 

Not a bit lol I still have to put a real shop up on the property, so still gatherin parts and info on my future plans to the car. Have had so much rain this year, its been hard to do anything outside or in the barn. I think i am growin scales lol