It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Increase participant count........
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:01 pm 

I am very new to this group so please excuse me if I overstep my bounds. I have been to a few events at Atco where members of this group have participated; it is usually my favorite part of the event. I have noticed that there's usually only 10-12 cars participating though.
An idea that might bring a new group of racers, while still maintaining the integrity of the group. Perhaps creating a separate class for, what is sometimes referred to as "Day 2" cars. These would be cars similar to what is run currently but, they would be allowed to have period correct modifications. Things such as Lakewood slapper bars, staggered tires, aftermarket rims (no Welds or Bogarts; these would have to be Cragars or Ansen sprints, something like that). They could run aftermarket cams but, it would have to be a grind that would have been found back in the day.
I love what you guys do; I just wish there were more cars to fill out the field. I think adding this new class would give the younger crowd a glimpse into what these cars may have looked like shortly after being purchased. Many cars prowled the streets looking for some action and very quickly received their share of modifications.

Just a thought

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Increase participant count........
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:58 pm 

no problem with bringing this up.....you have done it in a respectful way....

there has been talk of a day 2 type class but it never went too far!

the main class has so much appeal because of the unsuspecting look and the quick e.t.s

i think the day 2 class might be hard to police and would need restrictions. the stock appearing aspect makes it a little easier as the manufacturers have made the rules for us, in a sense, and it is researchable!

:shrug i am not against an other class but cannot put the time in to work it....i would stick with the stock appearing look :aok

132.34 mph

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:19 pm 
Site Admin

First thing, Thank you for giving input and sharing your ideas with the group on how to make the series stronger. We agree with doing what ever it takes to increase car count at our events. Currently we do exactly what you are suggesting. We give all that are interested a chance to come out and be part of the group. We have relaxed our rules for entry level musclecars. We have also looked at rules like: cylinder heads, blocks and other similar rules that made no sense and changed them to benefit all that run in the SuperCar Series whether a new enthusiast or one that is looking to run up front. Newcomers are allowed to run items that are not totally stock and that’s OK with us. We feel at this point that having a second Day2 class in our growing series would not help us, but instead water down the series. We have and will continue to allow Day2 musclecars to run with the class side by side with everyone else.

If you have a day2 please come out and participate, this is the only way we will grow this class. Our commitment to everyone looking to participate is to give you a solid racing venue for you to showcase your build. We will guarantee enough races for you to validate wanting to build a car to compete at what ever level you want to.

In 2009 we had a total of 32 cars compete in the series. We introduced programs like bring a new racer to the track, We took SuperCars out to all the major national car show, Ford’s, GM’s and Chrysler’s @ Carlisle as well as the Mopar nationals and opened the class for all makes to compete. This resulted in 10 new racers that joined the series.

Our best word of mouth is our racers and enthusiasts that come out to see the cars run at all of the events we host.

American MuscleCar Racing
Ralph Barbagallo
Sharleen Barbagallo
Ted Daros
Chris Kuskowski

http://www.SuperCarRaces.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:01 pm 

I will be as close to stock appearing as I can be for when I show up...still hoping for the May race...I won't be totally correct but accepted nonetheless. :aok :aok :aok

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:09 pm 

always accepted, none turned away :aok :aok :aok

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:23 pm 

We feel at this point that having a second Day2 class in our growing series would not help us, but instead water down the series. We have and will continue to allow Day2 musclecars to run with the class side by side with everyone else.

I wondered where we finally ended up on this and the proposed rules I put together.

1968 Olds 4-4-2, 455, 4 speed
1973 Dodge Challenger, 340, 4 speed
1968 Dart, 383, Auto, 3:91s

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:51 am 

carguy wrote:

I wondered where we finally ended up on this and the proposed rules I put together.

Blake, your proposed rules need no refining they are right-on :aok The rules are tucked away in a safe place. I am sure you would agree on the strategy. Our goal is to keep increasing car count.

Soon we will get to 40 plus cars at each event. Look for the split, Pure Stock, Day2/MuscleCar Eliminator, and Factory Appearing.

66 Belvedere I HP2 Hemi Auto 11.13 @ 124MPH 1.68 60' S/A

70 RoadRunner 440+6 Auto 11.05 @ 125MPH 1.67 60' S/A

70 AAR Cuda 340+6BBL 4 Spd. 11.58 @ 121MPH 1.76 60' S/A

72 Demon GSS 340 S/A 11.76 @ 118MPH 1.89 60' S/A

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:24 am 

If I may be so bold as to speak up (being a newbie myself), I too have been thinking about something along these lines. My proposal would be to keep all the current rules except for the following deviations:

1. Headers would be allowed but the full exhaust system requirement would still stand as stated in the current rules.

2. Period correct aftermarket aluminum intake manifolds allowed (say 5 years either way of the car's model year).

3. Aftermarket carbs allowed with a period correct appearance - no Demon, Barry Grant, etc, etc. More or less just Holley, Carter or Edelbrock (AFB, AVS, Q-Jet replacements).

4. Aftermarket or increased capacity mechanical fuel pumps in order to feed the more ravenous beast under the hood. No fuel pressure gauges as already stated in the current rules.

I also like the inclusion of traction control devices such as slapper bars since a lot of the cars back then made use of them.

The only problem with these mods being allowed might be that it would be very hard to hook the cars up unless an 8" slick rule were invoked but then we are in a quandry as to deviating too far from Pure Stock.

My problem is my mind starts to wander and I begin to consider all the possibilities without thinking of the enforcement consequences and headaches. :nuts
Still, its sometimes fun to dream about and consider the possibilities. At the end of the day I am very happy with the rules as they are and would desire to see them maintained as closely as possible.

F8 Ivy Green Metallic w/T7 Saddle Tan bucket seat interior
383 4-speed, PS, PDB, A/C, HEMI suspension,
Performance Axle Package (3.55 Sure Grip 8-3/4")
Pure Stock FTW!